Date balls are a staple in this household. We all have a sweet tooth but we try to stay away from cane sugar as much as possible. I’m not sure who loves these date balls more, Sofia (who is making the please mommy can I have more face in that photo^^) or Kiril who I find opening the tub sneaking them from time to time. You can make these several ways–you really can’t mess them up!
Here are my Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Date Balls:
- 1 Package of Dates, take out the seeds if you did not purchase seedless!
- 1 Cup of nuts (we used peanuts here, but I’ve used toasted hazelnuts before and that was yummy)
- 1 tbsp organic natural unsweetened cacao powder (Thank you Homegoods for having the best organic and gluten free items!)
- 1 tbsp local honey or agave nectar
- 1-2 tbsp of organic peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup of Chocolate Chips, I use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Brand, dairy, nut and soy free 🙂
- optional: add 1/4 cup of rice cereal (a lot of these have sugar so if you see they are sweetened with agave or maple syrup those are okay!)
- Place dates in a food processor, add peanuts and mix.
- Add cacao powder and peanut butter, blend until ingredients look dispersed throughout. Tip: If the dates get all bunched up break it up with a fork.
- Add the coconut oil, agave nectar and rice cereal (optional)
- Finally, add the chocolate chips to the mixture and blend.
- Take out the mixture, add to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour coconut flakes into a bowl and prepare plate or container with parchment paper.
- Roll the refrigerated mixture into mini balls and then submerse in coconut flakes.
- Eat right away or store in fridge.
Enjoy this healthy, gluten free energy snack with your family.
Here’s to a happy and healthy you!