These granola (bars) are bomb. I accidentally just ate half- woops! These are a much healthier version of the “chewy bar” or the stuff you find at the grocery store. I wish I could call them BARS but they kind of crumble together and become yummy granola pieces. Apparently, this is because I adapted a recipe online that had brown sugar and butter and opted for coconut oil and maple syrup- so I will be experimenting in the future and coming back with another recipe. But in the meantime, here you go!
What you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups of Gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup of Agave or Honey
- 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup – I actually think it was too sweet, next time I will add less!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (or more, who is counting anyways) of chocolate chips
- Parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Place almonds and oats on a rimmed baking sheet
- Place in oven for 9 minutes (give or take) to gently toast
- In the meantime, in a small saucepan add the coconut oil, maple syrup and agave or honey
- When it has fully combined and started to bubble, remove from heat and add salt and vanilla extract
- Take the oat mix out of the oven and pour the mixture in sauce pan over the oats and almonds, coating generously…add the coconut and combine evenly. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before adding the chocolate chips!
- Use a spatula and make sure all oats/and additions are coated in the syrupy sauce
- Take a 9×9 pan and place aluminum or parchment paper, spray with non stick spray (I love the coconut oil one!)
- Place chocolate chips on the bottom of the pan
- Take mixture from pan and place in pan, pressing firmly with the spatula
- Top with coconut and chocolate chips
- Refrigerate for AT LEAST 2 hours… I took mine out a little early because I was craving a taste
- These hold up well in the fridge or freezer. You can store at room temperature but there are no preservatives so eat within a few days
Let me know what you guys think! Sofia loved to steal all the chocolate chips as pictured above.
Here’s to a healthy and happy you! xo