Feels so good to be back in the kitchen! I seriously should invest in a wok with all the asian inspired recipes I’ve been whipping up lately. It’s my favorite way to get lots of yummy veggies in our system while also tasting delicious. Asian sauces tend to have TONS of Cane Sugar, Corn Syrup and MSG in them so BE CAREFUL. Always check your ingredients…I prefer to make my own and I value the use of potent spices. On another note, I made this with that four letter word most people fear…TOFU. I’m not sure if it’s because many do not know how to prepare it or the texture or what not, but I swear if you slip it into some of your dishes you won’t even notice.
What you will need:
- Butternut Squash noodles, spiraled. Our grocery store (Wegman’s) sells them already spiraled which is a huge advantage into a quicker meal prep.
- Broccoli or veggies of your choice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- half onion, chopped
- 2 packs of brown rice noodles
- Red Garlic Chili Paste
- non-Gmo, organic Tofu, extra firm (not cubed)
- 2-3 tablespoons of organic peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- fresh ginger grated
- lime juice
- zest of 1/4 of an orange
- pink salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- for extra spicy: use a Jalapeno pepper or spicy pepper of your choice. Make sure to remove the seeds and the membrane and wear gloves esp if you have contacts!!!
- Soy sauce (gluten free)
- Organic Sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- Unrefined Coconut oil 1 tablespoon
- Asian ginger seasoning (spices)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Scallions for topping
- Drain water from tofu and place tofu on paper towels, in colander with book or something heavy pressed on top (this should be done earlier in the day an hour or so before preparing this meal)
- Once the tofu as drained for an hour, chop into cubes and place in bowl. Cover with gluten free soy sauce, lime juice, fresh minced ginger, salt and pepper. Let marinate.
- Place rice noodles and butternut squash noodles in cold water to soak
- Place large pot on high heat filled halfway with water and heavily salted (this is for the noodles)
- Mince 2 cloves garlic, finely chop half a large onion, chop scallions for topping, chop broccoli into florets
- Steam broccoli
- Place noodles in boiling water for 4 minutes, drain but save 1/2 cup of water for sauce
- place coconut and sesame oils in wok or LARGE pan… on med high heat
- Add garlic, onion, season with salt, pepper
- When onion starts to look translucent (1-2 minutes) add red chili garlic paste, fresh ginger, lime juice, spicy pepper (if using), 2 tbsp soy sauce
- After 2 minutes, add 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter, orange zest, 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pan fry the tofu in this sauce flipping occasionally, adding 1/2 of the sauce it was marinading in
- Add cooked broccoli, toss until covered in sauce
- Taste and season with more asian spices, add Sriracha here too for extra spiciness
- Finally, add cooked noodles with 1/2 cup of the water
- Cover and let simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Mix together and plate, adding red pepper flakes, topping with scallions and sesame seeds.
Here’s to a healthy and happy you! xo