I am sooo surprised I have not made Cuban food before. It is SOOO yummy! This is going in our regular recipes for sure because the whole family liked it! Most of the ingredients can be made ahead of time and you can just reheat and add them all to the bowl. I hope you guys love it!!
What you will need:
- 1 cup of uncooked rice (I chose wild brown rice)
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 1 Super ripe (almost black) Plantain!! (not a banana)
- 1 Can of organic Black Beans
- 3 small tomatoes or 1 large
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/3 red onion (instead of the above 4 ingredients you can buy store bought pico de gallo!)
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- pink salt
- coconut oil
- Cayenne Pepper
- Cook rice from packaging directions.
- If you are making your own pico de gallo, add 1 cup of diced tomato, 1 large bunch of chopped cilantro, 1/3 of finely chopped red onion, deseed and devein the jalapeno and chopped into small pieces (be careful, do not touch your eyes or face), add salt!!
- Cube the sweet potato and then sauté in coconut oil over med high heat and season with cumin and salt, stirring frequently for 10+ min or so on each side until it is soft (taste before removing from heat).
- Place sweet potato in bowl and cover with foil to trap heat
- Peel the plantain by drawing a sharp knife along the ridges and removing the peel. Then chop into coins cutting on an angle and trying to get all at the same size so they cook the same time. I like mine thin!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or more in same pan and then add plantain, cooking on both sides until golden brown or crispy.
- Remove and cover with foil
- Add beans to same pan, season with cumin and some cayenne for an extra kick.
- Assemble the bowls with rice, beans, sweet potatoes, plantains, pico de gallo, avocado slices and a lime wedge for squeezing over top!
Here’s to a healthy and happy you, xo!