Have you ever heard of “dry brushing?” It is an ancient technique poking its head into modern times because it is SO freaking good for your body. I can’t believe I just started, but it is never too late… you too can dry brush!
So what the heck is dry brushing, anyways? Well, it’s exactly what it sounds like. Brushing your skin with a dry brush which has more benefits than you can imagine. Typically, you dry brush before you get into the shower. At first it feels tingly and maybe tickles a little bit, but soon you get used to it and it becomes another part of your routine.
Interested in learning more about the benefits? Here are a few:
- Exfoliation: You will notice the first time you dry brush that the loose and dead skin cells on top of your body are easily removed and softer more supple skin appears below. This is really good for our skin and can even help reduce cellulite! Who doesn’t love soft skin especially in the dry winter???
- Lymphatic Support: The lymphatic system (think of your lymph nodes) is a HUGE part of our beautiful defense army called our Immune System. Many lymph vessels are located right below our skin and dry brushing claims to help stimulate the normal lymph flow and detoxify naturally!
- Increased Blood Flow = More Energy: Don’t dry brush before you go to sleep because you will notice a pump up of energy. Due to the circulation it helps create, a pool of energy is released! Skip that coffee and dry brush 😉
- Cleans the skin: Dry brushing cleans the pores by clearing oil and residue that accumulate there. While I think exfoliating the face is great, I don’t dry brush my face. I stick to my body 🙂
Helpful Dry Brushing Tips:
- Select a NATURAL bristle brush with a long handle so you can even get that part in the middle of your back (guess where I got mine, haha – TJ Maxx)
- Start at your feet and work your way up slowly to you heart. Your entire body should take anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes to dry brush.
- I prefer to do little circles and work my way up my body but you can figure out what works right for you!
- Don’t brush too hard! A soft and even pressure of the brush will work the best! My skin will be a little pink, but nothing red or hurting after brushing.
- This is great to do before a shower, which will help get rid of the other dead skin cells the brushing helped remove.
- Follow up with organic unrefined coconut oil massage of your body or choose a natural and healthy lotion. Questions about which to buy? Message me or leave a comment below!!!
Here’s to dry brushing, health, happiness and gratitude. Namaste!