Happy Wednesday!! I am so excited about using ingredients from our garden for the first time, ever. We are growing cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, green onion and herbs this year. Here I was able to chop up fresh green onion which tasted so much more powerful than ones I have bought at the grocery store!
These were super yummy, cheesy and gooey in the middle with a nice crunch on the outside. I achieved this by dipping the fritters/cakes in panko bread crumbs before pan frying in coconut or olive oil. Because these are so rich, they leave you feeling full. It doesn’t even feel like you’re eating zucchini and kale! Another great option would be to serve this over some lemony arugula with a citrus dressing to balance out the flavors. Hope you all enjoy!
What you need:
- 2 medium zucchini (organic), grated
- 1 green onion (chop up whites for the mixture and greens for topping)
- 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs and extra for dipping before frying
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of parmesan
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups of kale chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- zest from one lemon
- plain greek yogurt for dipping
- Grate the zucchini. Place in a bowl and salt. Place in fridge for 10 or so minutes. Remove and take a clean towel or paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. Place back in a large bowl.
- To the zucchini add the ricotta, parmesan, egg, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Let the batter sit in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- On a plate pour some panko bread crumbs for dipping before frying.
- Heat a pan with coconut or olive oil.
- Take mixture out of fridge and add 1/2 cup or more of bread crumbs achieving a sticky but combining texture.
- Take a large spoonful of the mix and roll into a medium sized patty of some sort, then dip on both sides in the panko. Add to the hot oiled pan.
- Pan fry for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown or a little darker (we prefer it crunchier)!
- Serve hot with greek yogurt topped with chives and lemon zest. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the remaining green onion.
Here’s to a healthy and happy you! xoxo